Australian Pure Gold Nugget, weighing 632 grams.
Gold in the broader sense is many things. Gold is dense, soft, and malleable. It’s ability to conduct heat and electricity is unbeatable, not to mention it’s anti-tarnish and corrosion free properties. As a result of these unique and unrivalled attributes, Gold is found in almost every technological device you own. It is a form of currency, used to store wealth, and also an investment. Putting Science and Finance aside, Gold is most favoured and revered as the pinnacle material to craft jewellery and other decorative objects of significance, and it has been that way since Ancient Egyptian times. Gold jewellery is still to this day, the chosen token of love, milestones, and celebrations, of universal appeal across all cultures. At Sydney Auction House, this is what Gold is to us.
Every piece of Gold jewellery that passes through our office, is assessed and valued on a set of criteria to determine it’s true market value. Some items sell for a premium due to artistic merit, or associated provenance, while other items are valued at the intrinsic raw commodity value. Your Gold item is always worth something, and Sydney Auction House is here to realise your items true value.
Gold items to be sold at an upcoming auction.
FURTHER INFORMATION ON GOLD
Gold is found in the earth in various purities, and Gold refiners will refine Gold and extract the impurities to achieve "Fine Gold". Fine Gold is defined as 99.99% pure Gold. This is the form in which Gold Bullion is made, Gold in it's purest form.
For the purpose of making jewellery, Gold is alloyed with other metals (such as Silver and Copper), to create different carats for different budgets. Caratage is a measurement of Gold purity. The most common carat measurements are:
9ct (also 9K or 375): Is defined by the item containing 37.5% Fine Gold, while the other 62.5% of the item's mass is made up of other metals such as Silver and Copper. 9ct Yellow Gold is more pale in colour, in comparison to higher carat items.
10ct (also 10K or 417): Is defined by the item containing 41.7% Fine Gold, while the other 58.3% of the item's mass is made up of other metals such as Silver and Copper. 10ct Yellow Gold is more pale in colour, in comparison to higher carat items. 10ct Yellow Gold is more common in the North American market.
14ct (also 14K or 585): Is defined by the item containing 58.5% Fine Gold, while the other 41.5% of the item's mass is made up of other metals such as Silver and Copper. 14ct Yellow Gold is a great option for the customer who wants a higher Gold content, while remaining slightly cheaper than the 18ct option.
18ct (also 18K or 750): Is defined by the item containing 75% Fine Gold, while the other 25% of the item's mass is made up of other metals such as Silver and Copper. 18ct Yellow Gold has a more warm and golden colour in comparison to lower carat options.
24ct (also 24K): Is defined by the item containing 100% Fine Gold. Generally, 24ct is too soft to manufacture jewellery, but in some cultures 20ct and 22ct Gold is not uncommon.
At Sydney Auction House, we have all appropriate machines to test the purity, and weigh your Gold items. This enables us to provide the vendor with an accurate valuation of their items, whilst also protecting customers who buy items through our jewellery auctions. You can always bid with confidence at Sydney Auction House.
If you have any questions at all regarding Gold, Silver, or Platinum, please get in touch with us here.